Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Star Wars Reads Day II - October 5th 2013




Fans of reading and a certain galaxy far, far away have reason to rejoice: Star Wars Reads Day, a day-long celebration of literacy and Jedi, Sith, Wookiees, and all things Star Wars, is returning. The second annual Star Wars Reads Day is to be held this October 5, 2013, and will again feature Star Wars fans, authors, and artists coming together in a nationwide multi-publisher initiative. Participating publishing partners include Abrams, Chronicle Books, Dark Horse, Del Rey, DK, Quirk Books, Random House Audio, Scholastic, Titan Magazines, and Workman. Last year, 30 authors and 1,500 costumed volunteers participated in over 1,200 Star Wars Reads Day events across North America.
"Star Wars Reads Day is the kind of initiative that we at Lucasfilm love to support" says Carol Roeder, Director of Publishing at Lucasfilm. "Reading and Star Wars have gone hand-in-hand since 1976, when the novelization of the original Star Wars movie was released. Over the years, many fans have discovered the joy in reading through Star Wars books, and we hope to continue encouraging more people to read." -  Starwars.com

I'm a huge fan of reading and of Star Wars, and, of course, Star Wars reading!
In my own collection of books, I probably have over 40 SW books, and I'm only about half way through them. I picked up most of them at second hand stores over the years as I've come across them and I like to break one out when life is getting a little too serious.
Reading about a galaxy far, far away always helps me to unwind.

I think this event is an amazing way to connect with other like-minded people who also share a love for SW or even just for reading. I really wish that I wasn't out of town this weekend, or I would've headed over to Chapters Bayview Village and joined in the fun!

But, since I'm not, nor anywhere near these other places that are,  I will just give you the low down of some of the awesome Star Wars books that I've been looking at recently. 





My friends Josh and Sarah got me Vader and Son last year for my birthday and I love it! It's all about the softer side of Darth Vader and what he would've been like had he raised Luke. Vader's Little Princess came out earlier this year and follows in the same vain.
These book are adorable and I recommend them for the SW lover of any age.


How can you go wrong with a pop-up book? Add Star Wars to the mix and you have me occupied for hours. 


Not only does this book have awesome pop-ups, but it's also filled with great info on all sorts of SW trivia.


Along the lines of Novels, this is the one I have on the go at the moment.


I love the Tales series of short stories that cover the entire EU. I've got Empire, New Republic, Bounty Hunter and Mos Eisley Cantina. They're really great for when you don't want to commit to an entire book.

But when you do want to commit, I suggest picking up a series or a trilogy. The Thrawn Trilogy, perhaps?


Myself, I'm in the middle of the Darth Bane Trilogy. 


I've read the first two, now I just have to pick up the last one. I can't wait to see how it ends!

If you can get out to one of these events this weekend, have fun. If not, keep on reading on.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for Star Wars reads day! Star Wars books have helped me so much! They were what started my love for reading. But no events are ever near me so I'm very sad about that. But I'll be wearing SW gear and probably reading books all day!:)

    ReplyDelete