Wednesday, May 26, 2010

1000 AWESOME things!


AWESOMENESS! Is there anything better? Neil from 1000 Awesome Things shows us just how awesome the little every day things in our lives can make all the difference.
This is what Neil has to say about this place of awesome and how it came about:

Hi everybody,
My name is Neil Pasricha and I’m a no-name 30-year-old guy who started 1000 Awesome Things back in June, 2008 with the goal of writing about one awesome thing every weekday.
I did this as my life was falling apart. My best friend took his own life and my wife and I went different ways. We sold our house, I moved to a tiny apartment, and I tried to get things back on track by talking about one simple, universal little joy every single day — like snow days, bakery air, or popping bubble wrap.
Internet travelers from all over the world supported awesome things from the start and sent it to friends who sent it to friends. New people seeing the site helped us win the Best Blog award two years in a row and land a book deal.
This Spring The Book of Awesome comes out everywhere.
Honestly, this is just incredible and I’m totally shocked and overwhelmed. But more than anything, I just want to say thanks.
Neil
 
I gotta say, I understand how he feels. I had been going through a rather bad depression and the meds that were prescribed to me left me feeling hollow inside. I stopped seeing the good that was every where in the world and just went through the motions of every day life, most days not even knowing what day it was. Then I came across this blog a few months ago and it immediatly changed my life.
I got through it. I moved on.
Suddenly I started to remember all those little things that use to make me so happy.

Man, those were good times! I still can't resist an old wooden playground!

These are the Santas that make you believe again.

Man, I am so guilty of this! I just love it!

Everything about rain is good in my books!

Best smell in the entire world!
Babies are awesome. High fiving is awesome. Putting them together makes something even more awesome!

I can't even remember the last time I went camping, but I will always remember that smell.
 
I'm really lucky to have found my perfect chicken wing partner. My Boyfriend is Awesome. We go out to Wild Wing and order 2 extremely different flavors and then share. It's twice as awesome as ordering just for yourself!

My favorite thing to do with Bubble Wrap is to put in on the ground and walk over it. The feeling of poping bubbles with your toes is great!

Smells like childhood :)

Celebrity baby names are so crazy that it makes my name seem less weird by comparison.

There is a fountain by my work that I love to sit by at lunch and do just that!
 
Best place in the World!

Orange Juice is another great choice if you can do it right.

This happens to me all the time when I'm with my best friend Eric. The only sound I make is this weird high pitch squeel as I intake breath.

I am guilty of doing this. A lot. I've been known to listen to the same song 5-8 times in a row. I can't help it!

I was never allowed to have any of these as a kid, so my friends and I created "cereal day". We would each buy a crazy type of cereal and we would spend the day passing around the different boxes and milk so we could try each of them out.

$5 - 5 minute Princess Leia costume.
How to make:
1 piece of white fabric with a hole cut in the middle
1 piece of white cardboard cut kinda like a belt
A handful safety pins
A handful of bobypins to hold buns in place
 

I love the feel of grass between my toes

They're organge with yellow seams and a rainbow star on them. I don't know why they're my favorite, they just are.

Best Feeling EVER!
Thanks for always taking an interest in me Miss Grills. You're greatly missed.

I have to get up early on Saturdays to head over to see my chiropractor. The best thing about it though is when I get back home and my boyfriend is still in his pj's just waiting to have a nap. He's the best.

Finding this website (which you will find linked not only above, but also under my favorites) reminded me of being back in high school and making my own list that I called "Small things that make me happy"
This list included things like seeing someone spit liquids out of their nose, stupid looking little dogs (I can't help it, they make me laugh), Stars, rainbows, hanging out on the whale (it was a slide at the local playground) with my best friend Eric and talking for hours.
Today I would add things like getting caught up in the magic of writing,
Fun Disney Mugs (this one was my all time favorite until it broke, but I still have fond memories of it)


Anything Star Wars related, a book that I can't seem to put down,
making friends with someone you met online and then randomly running into them in real life.
(I'm looking at you Chris)


I think it's really important for people to have a list like that. So I recommend making your own (or if you don't want to do that, you can buy a copy of Neil's new book - THE BOOK OF AWESOME)

Hey, you know what else is awesome? I'm actually featured on the website today! Click here to check out it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment